Carmelite Centre, Gort Muire
In 1944 the Irish Province found that its student house at Ardavon, Rathgar, (now Mount Carmel Hospital) was not big enough for the number of students it had at the time and so the decision was made to find or build a more adequate house. This was found at Gort Mór on the Ballinteer Road in Ballinteer at the foot of the Dublin Mountains. To the original house were added a large accommodation block with class halls and a community chapel. The new location was then renamed ‘Gort Muire.’ Ardavon finally closed in 1949 when the new buildings were completed. In 1964 a further extension was built. The house is well located with views across the city as far as the airport and has a lovely lake feature for quiet strolls in a peaceful setting. The thumbnail picture was taken in 1944, just before building work began to expand the accommodation and shows the lake in the foreground with the house beautifully reflected in it.
Today Gort Muire is still the student and novitiate house for the Province but nowadays students go to the nearby Milltown Institute to study. Throughout its history the house has played host not just to Irish students but to students from across Europe, Africa, India, and the Americas. Gort Muire is also a retreat and conference centre which can cater for both resident and non-resident groups.
Fr Prior, O.Carm.,
Tel: 01 2984014.
Fax: 01 2987221.
Fr Richard Byrne, O.Carm.
Some pictures of the Chapel at Gort Muire: